As I have done most of my life since 1998, I have been missing Rome. Rome is always calling to me, no matter how crazy the city gets. I dream of living there again some day in a sunny, rooftop apartment near Piazza Navona. I envision my grandkids coming to visit me and exploring the city together. That day is far off, therefore this week I was making a mental list of the top ten things I enjoy about Saipan . . .
- The first thing I love about this island is the fact that no matter where I go on island I can see the ocean.
- I don’t have to constantly shave my legs as the people on island don’t care about such frivolous things.
- People can walk around with machetes in their hands and no one thinks twice about it.
- Everywhere I look there are trees with so many different types of fruit: banana, coconut, mango, jackfruit, papaya, star fruit and breadfruit, just to name a few!
- There is always a smile and a hello to be shared, even though you don’t know the other person.
- You see your students around island and it’s not awkward. I enjoy seeing students in the community and chatting with them for a few minutes.
- I get to see and experience many different Asian cultures in my classroom and on island.
- It doesn’t take longer than 20 minutes to get to any given location.
- Life is simple… busy, but simple.
- I drop off my laundry and when I pick it up it is washed, dried and folded… and it only costs a few dollars more than if I did it myself.
I will always miss Italy, it is home after all, yet I do like where I am at. Does it feel like home yet? Almost. It’s one of those things that simply takes time.